by Mozzified Contributor Reema K Lateef
So, I recently started eating zabiha/halal meat and the struggle has been harsh… to say the least. Some struggle with not eating sugar, some struggle with running a 5k… I struggle with eating halal meat.
1) The struggle to not eat a bite off another person’s plate.
“Can I try some of yours?”
“Oh, try some of my mine too!”
“I can’t.” -_-
2) Resisting the temptation to choose the beef option over the vegetarian option.
Can I have it with just eggs and vegetables please? 🙁
3) Attempting to explain that you’re not vegetarian, just that you can’t eat all kinds of meat.
I’m special, okay.
4) Or having to explain that you eat Kosher, but that you’re not Jewish.
5) Searching a restaurant for the halal certificate/sign.
6) Trying to stay calm when someone tells you that tofu “tastes just like meat.”
I know what real meat tastes like. #stop
7) Having to answer weird questions like “do you drink halal water?” or “do you eat halal vegetables?”
8) Trying to hide your excitement when you see seafood on the menu.
There’s a life besides tofu and eggs? #whoknew
9) When you finally find a vegetarian dish on the menu, only to find out that it’s “prepared with white wine.”
So close, but so far.
10) At the end of the day, realizing that nothing replaces meat.
Reema is currently a student at Zaytuna College, where she is the Editor-in-Chief of Olea Press, Zaytuna’s Student Newspaper. Follow Reema @ReemaJaan15.