- 1 tablespoon cumin power
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6-8 large carrots, shredded or sliced on a mandolin
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas (or one 15- ounce can, drained and rinsed)
- 2/3 cup chopped prunes, chopped apricots and/or raisins
- 1/3 cup fresh mint, chopped
- A generous handful of candied pecans (you can make your own or purchase them), toasted almond slices, crushed walnuts and/or pumpkin seeds
Shred carrots into a large bowl, pour dressing over and let sit an hour or more to let flavors come together. Add toasted nuts before serving.
Shaina Shealy is a graduate student at UC Berkeley’s School of Journalism, where she focuses in Multimedia. Follow her on twitter @shainashealy.