by Mozzified Contributor Shaina Shealy
- 2 – 3 cups dried green or yellow split peas
- 6 -8 cups Vegetarian broth or water mixed with soup powder or bouillon
- 1 large onion
- 3-4 carrots
- 3-4 stalks of celery with leaves
- 4-6 cloves garlic
- 2 Tblsp fresh basil or 2 tsp dried
- 1 apple peeled and cut in small pieces
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp (or more) cumin (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Rinse split peas and put in a large pot with 6 cups of broth or water with bouillon, soup mix or any other soup flavoring.
Bring to a boil and simmer peas while preparing vegetables. Stir occasionally.
Put onions, carrots, celery and garlic in a food processor and chop into small pieces. They don’t need to be pulverized.
Throw chopped vegetables into the partially cooked peas and continue to cook on a low flame stirring occasionally.
Add chopped apple and continue cooking on a low flame until all ingredients are tender (about 30-40 minutes).
Add spices, salt and pepper to taste.
When vegetables cooked through, blend in the pot with a stick immersion blender.
Add water and adjust spices if soup is too thick.
Shaina Shealy is a graduate student at UC Berkeley’s School of Journalism, where she focuses in Multimedia. Follow her on twitter @shainashealy.