by Mozzified Contributor Shaina Shealy
Prep time: 45 minutes
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 Cup of your favorite whole grain cereal mix (I use Bob’s Red Mill Hot 5 Grain Cereal Mix for its hardy combination of flax, oats, rye, etc. You can also use rolled oats or self-prepared combo of rolled oats, flax meal, wheat bran, etc)*
- 3/4 cup honey
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 ripe bananas (can be frozen)
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt (if you’re worried, nonfat is ok, but 2% or whole is better)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups grated carrots (or zucchini)
- optional: 1/2 cup crushed walnuts, 1/4 c raisins, 1 tbs fresh grated ginger
- 4 tbs oats or hot cereal mix for topping
Preheat oven to 400°. Combine dry ingredients. Mash banana with a fork until pureed. In separate bowl, combine banana, greek yogurt, oil and eggs. Add flour to liquid mixture and gently stir until just combined. Gently fold carrots (+walnuts, raisins, etc.) into the mixture and spoon batter into muffin tin coated with butter, oil or cooking spray. For full muffins, bake for 20-30 minutes – for mini muffins, bake for 15 – 20 minutes.
A few muffin tips: check for doneness with a toothpick early (you don’t want to overcook!); leave some lumps in the batter – over mixing will reduce fluff; cool in the pan for just 5 minutes and then remove so the muffins don’t get soggy; store in airtight container or freeze.
Shaina Shealy is a graduate student at UC Berkeley’s School of Journalism, where she focuses in Multimedia. Follow her on twitter @shainashealy.