by Mozzified Contributor Shaina Shealy
Serves 4 – 7 people
Ingredients for Spice Mix:
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 green chili, stem and seeds removed
- 3 tablespoons good olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
Ingredients for Salad:
- 2 cups French lentils, prepared (boil with salt)
- 3 5-ounce cans of albacore tuna
- 4 tablespoons spice mix or to taste
- 2 cups carrots, finely grated
- ½ red onion, chopped
- 4 handfuls of arugula, chopped
- 3 eggs, boiled and sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Handful of parsley, roughly chopped, for garnish
- Handful of pumpkin seeds, toasted, for garnish
To prepare spice mix, add all ingredients into a food processor and puree into thick paste. In a large bowl, mix lentils, tuna, spice mix, onions and carrots. If desired, add a drop of olive oil to loosen the mixture. Right before serving, toss tuna mixture with arugula and sliced eggs. Add salt and black pepper as needed. Garnish with pumpkin seeds and parsley and serve chilled with good bread or crackers. Refrigerate any unused portion of the spice mixture for other salad dishes.
** If you don’t eat fish, add another handful of lentils (or an additional egg or slices of avocado) … the salad works without tuna. The lentils, carrots and arugula carry plenty of substance. Experiment and tell me what you learn.
Shaina Shealy is a graduate student at UC Berkeley’s School of Journalism, where she focuses in Multimedia. Follow her on twitter @shainashealy.